Hamilton Union Presbyterian Church was formally established in 1824, and in 1825 our first minister was hired with a salary of $200 per year. A congregation was active and there was a church building even earlier. As early as 1797 an octagon shaped building served as a church school.
The history of our church largely parallels our town's history. In 1785, a glass manufacturing plant was established nearby. In 1796, the name of the immediate area was charged from Dowesburgh to Hamilton in honor of Alexander Hamilton. The Great Western Turnpike (now route 20 or Western Avenue) was built in 1799 and by 1813 the area had 56 houses, stores and 3 glass factories. In 1815 the glass factories closed and in 1825, the Erie Canal was built. Use of the canal resulted in less traffic on the Great Western Turnpike.
We believe the Union in Hamilton Union relates to the interdenominational nature of the church in its early years. Although we are only about 15 miles from downtown Albany, the Hamilton area of Guilderland was a small hamlet until the second half of the 20th century.
Today we are located in a suburban area with the town library, YMCA and shopping centers all within a mile. In our backyard is the Pine Bush preserve.